- How would you define performance art?
Using your body in a planned or unscripted action for others to view as art.
- What is the relationship between performance art and other media? How is it similar? Unique?
Performance art in stead of using some sort of material like paint or charcoal specifically uses the body in some way, shape, or form and the action is what is intended to be seen and not necessarily the end result. Yet all art media is intended for an audience at the end of the day and is meant to be viewed and absorbed by others.
- What is the difference between theater and performance art? One criticism of Abramovic’s post Ulay work is that she became too theatrical. Although the most of the work that we saw on the film was here early work, was the whole retrospective a spectacle and hence theatrical?
Theater is a planned/ scripted performance involving a story and different scenes while performance art can be planned or unplanned and involves the use of the body to create art. I guess this piece could be seen as a spectacle but in all is definitely more of a performance piece.
- Locate some examples in the film that express Abramovic and her works’ relationship to time and discuss the importance of time and duration to her work.
She marks each day that she is sitting down and staring at people and emphasizes to everyone that she is present ALL DAY which is a long amount of time. The ridiculous amount of time that she is doing this adds to the endurance of the piece.
- Perhaps, also just get some general response and find out if student perspectives towards performance changed as a result of the movie.